While not a difficult task to pull off, starting a pipeline in the AWS Console for CodePipeline does tend to be a confusing thing when somebody has never done it before.
The reason for this is the naming of the action. The AWS Console doesn’t have a big shiny “Start” button for you to click on. Instead, there is a button that stands out, in AWS Orange, named “Release change”.
So the steps to start an AWS CodePipeline are:
- Log into the AWS Management Console.
- Go to CodePipeline.
- Click on the pipeline that you’d like to start.
- Click Release change in the upper right-hand corner.
- Check Release on the dialog that explains releasing changes.
- Wait patiently as your pipeline runs!
While I understand the naming of the button to marry up with the action that you will ultimately accomplish when you click it, I still think it would be nice if the used more generic naming around what you’re trying to do, which is start the pipeline.